Lacombe County took the lead to advise boaters about the risks to Sylvan Lake that are caused by importing harmful invasive species from other locations in North America.
The Red Deer Express reported on the information day held on August 1 at the Sunbreaker Cove boat launch. Read all about it here.
Alberta’s campaign to block invasive species is explained on this web page.
Watch this Alberta Environment slideshow on Aquatic Invasive Species.
CLEAN. DRAIN. DRY YOUR BOAT.
- Clean and inspect watercraft, trailer and gear
- Remove all plants, animals, and mud at the access area or dock
- At home, soak your gear in a bleach solution for at least one minute
- Rinse, scrub or pressure wash your boat away from storm drains, ditches or waterways
- On land, before leaving the waterbody, drain all water from:
- Bait buckets
- Internal compartments
- Livewells, etc
- Dry the watercraft and gear completely between trips and allow the wet areas of your boat to air dry
- Leave compartments open and sponge out standing water.